The Our & Clarke label is prefixed by the name of the grower and the name of the winemaker.
This is the Ex Animo Pinotage from a 52-year-old bush vine vineyard, grown on Langkloof Farm using organic practices by Scholtz Rossouw. Made again by Jurgen Gouws with 80% of the fruit fermented whole bunch under semi-carbonic conditions for 10 days. The other 20% of the fruit was pressed earlier and fermented as a rosé and blended back in after malolactic fermentation
Inspired by the LAM Pinotages made by Craig Hawkins and Jurgen Gouws while they were at Lammershoek, this wine seeks to explore and reveal the lighter, more aromatic and (dare we say it) prettier side of the much-maligned Pinotage grape.
This was made by Jurgen Gouws, with 80% of the fruit fermented whole bunch under semi-carbonic conditions for 10 days. The other 20% of the fruit was pressed earlier and fermented as a rosé and blended back after malolactic fermentation.
The resultant wine has a juicier mid-palate compared with previous vintages, loads of cherry and raspberry fruit with that characteristic pomegranate tang and beautifully balanced tannin.
Ex Animo absolutely adore northern Italian reds. Pinotage, weirdly enough, when made without massive extraction and from quality fruit, can remind us of a crunchy Dolcetto d’Alba.